I intend to follow their lead and start posting about potential investments. And keep track of the resulting portfolio.
The portfolio will be highly concentrated, following the example of Mohnish Parbrai with ten positions each making up roughly 10% of the portfolio.
Companies I am looking at include:
Sears – SHLD:
- Run by Eddie Lampart, and has Mohnish Parbrai, Bruce Berkowitz and Bill Ackman as investors. My Value Idea has a post about Sears: Sears Holdings is the hype real?. Which outlines why this may be a good investment.
- Value Investing, and a Few Cigar Butts has a 18% position in SHLD.
Winn Dixe – WINN
- US Supermarket chain that has come out of bankruptcy. The Tilson Focus fund have invested 13% of their portfolio in the company.
- Whitney Tilson writes about the investment in this article: Winn-Dixie Stores: A Turnaround in Progress at Seeking Alpha.
EchoStar – SATS
- Spin-off from EchoStar Communications (which has Bruce Berkowitz as an investor). The business makes set-top boxes for subscription TV, has seven satellites and US$1bn in cash.
- The idea came from a write up by vinlin1060 at Value Investor Club, which I was able to read with a free guest membership that lets you view posts more than 45 days old.
Office Depot – ODP