Quick list of resources I use when doing any research.
Industry / Company
- SEC: Annual (10-K) and quarterly reports (10-Q) which contain information, including industry estimates. IPO and M&A documents are another source of information.
- Yahoo finance: company financial data (mostly US listed).
- ADVFN: company financial data.
- New Zealand companies office: documents filed by NZ companies, as required by law.
- Google: search by filetype, filetype:pdf works well for finding presentations of industry research.
- NZTE: free research paid for by the Government.
- Big four accounting firms: tend to publish lots of research on specific industries.
- Reuters: good industry profiles.
- PwC cost of capital report: beta and discount rates from NZ listed companies.
News / In depth Articles
- The Economist (all articles searchable for subscribers)
- FT.com (all articles searchable for subscribers)
- McKinsey quarterly
- MIT Sloan management review
- HBS working knowledge
- Standford knowledgebase
Private Equity and Venture Capital Industry Information
- British venture capital association
- European venture capital association
- PwC moneytree
- New Zealand venture capital association
- Australian venture capital and private equity association
- National venture capital association
Information About Other Investors
- Damodaran On-line: website of the Professor of Stern School of Business at New York University. It contains lots of valuation related data, plus lectures about valuation and corporate finance.
- Mygateway.info: website from the Wellington Public Library, with a library card and a login you can access a number of databases, including:
- Business Source Elite, full text from top management and marketing journals including Harvard Business Review, Business Week, Forbes, MIT Sloan Management Review, California Management Review. And detailed company profiles for the world’s 5,000 largest companies.
- MasterFILE Premier, a database with full text for nearly 1,950 general periodicals covering current affairs, business, entertainment, education, health, general science, multi-cultural issues and much more.
- ProQuest ANZ Newsstand offers full-text access to Fairfax New Zealand newspapers including The Dominion Post, Sunday Star-Times etc and The Australian and ABC news sources.
- ProQuest Newspapers offers full-text access to 14 of the world’s best newspapers including the New York Times, Washington Post and the Observer.